Last Updated: 20 August 2017
Gurukul Lutheran Theological College and Research Institute is one of the leading theological colleges and it is affiliated to the Senate of Serampore. Established in 1953, as an Ecumenical seminary it continues to impart education and train leaders for the churches in India. Gurukul plays a key role in making theological education more people-centered. Bachelor of Christian Studies (BCS) enables the lay persons of the church to be theologically equipped at their convenient time without affecting their vocation.
AIMS OF BCS AT GURUKUL
- To extend the opportunity of Theological Education to all people of God, educated and employed in secular fields irrespective of age, gender, colour, caste and creed.
- To uphold the Reformation Paradigm of ‘Priesthood of all Believers’.
- To enable the lay persons to become faithful servant leaders of the church.
BENEFITS OF BCS
- Gives the option to study part-time, while remaining in full-time job.
- Explore Biblical themes in relation to the contemporary issues in our church and society.
- Strengthens the faith and makes doctrinally well-versed.
- Access to Gurukul Library.
- Quality Teaching by Scholars from different theological streams.
- Provides an excellent foundation for theological education that could be upgraded by pursuing 'Master of Christian Studies' (MCS).
- Builds up a strong lay leadership to carry out the ministries of the church.
MODE OF STUDY
Study Materials: Books and Hand-outs will be provided. Required readings will be suggested.
Library: The Martin Luther Library is the centre for academic excellence. It provides an access to a range of Books, Journals, Encyclopedias and Commentaries. It has more than 60,000 volumes. Students are given training on how to use and access the online resources for their class and research work.
Contact Seminar: It will be arranged for two days at Gurukul thrice a year. It offers a range of lectures, power point presentations and seminars conducted by professors. It also gives you an opportunity to interact with the staff and fellow students.
- Bachelor Degree from a recognized University in India (OR)
- B.Th. Degree from Senate of Serampore (OR)
- A mature person of 25 years of age with two years of professional experience and has passed “Matured Candidates” Entrance Examination
BCS is designed to give you a holistic understanding on:
- Old Testament
- New Testament
- Christian Ministry
- Christian Response to Multi-faith Society
- History of Christianity
- Contemporary Issues
- Christian Mission and Vision
- Christian faith and Ethics
HOW TO APPLY
Candidates with an undergraduate degree or a higher degree from a recognized university OR Bachelor of Theology from the Senate of Serampore (University) OR A mature person of 25 years of age with two years of professional experience and has passed “Matured Candidates” Entrance Examination. The BCS course duration is for Four years. Kindly note to register for the course before 15th October 2017. Click here to download BCS application form.
Contact for more details and queries
Rev. J.M.P. Thomas Birla
The Dean, Bachelor of Christian Studies
Gurukul Lutheran Theological College and Research Institute
94, Purasawalkam High Road, Kilpauk, Chennai - 600 010.