Last Updated: 16 September 2015
In line with the name of the College, Gurukul takes serious attempts to promote research. The Research Seminars are a pointer in this direction. All the Resident Doctoral Research Scholars and the M.Th. Students together with the members of the staff attend the seminar. This is a forum where the faculty, the student community, and the scholars who are visiting Gurukul present scholarly papers followed by a good interaction and the discussion. Dr. Israel Selvanayagam served as the Convener of this forum. We had the following presentations made during the academic year (2014-2015):
- Christian Conversion Movement among the Nagas in Nagaland: Theories and Motives by Dr Walotemjen on Wednesday, 9 July 2014.
- Senate Policy Against Sexual Harassment was held on 9 August 2014.
- A Book Release and discussion of the Book Mission At and From the Margins: Patterns, Protagonists and Perspectives edited by Dr. Joseph Prabhakar Dayam, Dr. Peniel Rufus Rajkumar and Dr. I P Asheervadam was held on 13 August 2014. Dr. Peniel Rufus Anderson introduced the book and Dr. Walotemjen from the Department of History of Christianity did a book review followed by discussion.
- Dr. Munther Banayout Isaac of Evangelical Lutheran Church in Jordan and the Holy Land and a Biblical scholar teaching at Bethlehem Bible College shared with the Gurukul Community on The Conflict between Israel and Palestine and challenges to the Church on 18 August 2014.
- Rev. Dr. Rafael Malpica Padella, Executive Director, Global Mission, ELCA met the students of the partner churches of ELCA and presented a paper on the theme Accompaniment: a lens and methodology for mission today on 20 August 2014.
- Rev. Dr. Rafael Malpica Padella, Executive Director, Global Mission, ELCA presented a paper on the topic Understanding and Transformation: Critical Components for Theological Education on 20 August 2014.
- In Celebration of the Silver Jubilee Year of SATHRI of the Senate of Serampore College a seminar on the theme Theological Research: Challenges to Indian Feminism was held on 10 September 2014. The resource persons Dr. James Ponniah, Professor in the Department of Christian Studies, University of Madras and Dr. Ms. Florina Benoit, Chief Zonal Officer, CASA presented papers on the theme followed by discussion. Students from the sister seminaries also attended the seminar.
- Interfaith Dialogue Programme organised a meeting and conversation on the topic Scriptural Interpretation on Friday, 19 September, 2014. Dr. Faizal Rahman, Islamic Forum for Moderate Thought, Chennai and his team led the session.
- A theological colloquium on the theme Exploring Hybridity and Embracing Hospitality: Towards a Theology of Multiple Religious Belonging from 2-5 October 2014 in collaboration with the World Council of Churches.
- Dr. Songram Basumatary’s book Ethnicity and Tribal Theology was reviewed by Dr. Walotemjen and Dr. W.S. Annie on 12 November 2014.
- Rev. Dr. Israel Selvanayagam on Piety, Power and Politics: The Tale of Two Tombs on the Merina Beach, Chennai, paper presented on 10 December 2014.
- Rev.Dr. Frederick Strickert on Will the real husband of Herodias please stand up?, paper presented on 21 January 2015.
- Dr. W.S. Annie on Easy Target or a Person: Widows and Single Women in India, paper presented on 11 February 2015.
- Rev. Dr. Joseph Prabhakar Dayam on Dalit Texture in Literature, paper presented on 11 March 2015.
- Thursday, 10 August 2017: Scripture Knowledge Examination II
- Tuesday, 15 August 2017: Independence Day Celebrations